Elegant apricot and almond tarts with a luscious cream cheese base over light and airy puff pastry pockets. These not-too sweet tarts are the perfect dessert for your next summer gathering.
- 2 packages store bought puff pastry
- 10–12 ripe apricots
- 250 grams of cream cheese or mascarpone
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup of sliced almonds
- 2–3 tbsp powdered sugar (plus more for dusting / if apricots are underripe)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp orange marmalade
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- Pinch of salt
- Make the filling. In a mixing bowl or stand mixer whip together the cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Whisk together the two eggs in another smaller bowl, and add them to the cream cheese and sugar, reserving about 2.5 tbsp for the egg wash. Then add the orange marmalade, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger and pinch of salt to the cream cheese and mix well.
- Cut the apricots. Cut the apricots into roughly equal thin slices.
- Cut the pastry. Cut the puff pastry sheets into equal sized rectangles. Depending on the size of the sheet, you will get anywhere from 8-12 rectangles.
- Shape. Apply egg wash to the outer edges of each rectangle. Use the edge of a butter knife or your fingers to gently push up and fold over the edges of each rectangle so that you form them into little frames.
- Fill. Fill each frame with approximately 2 – 2.5 tbsp of the cream cheese mixture and carefully lay 3-4 slices of the apricot slices on each frame. Apply more egg wash to the frame edge, and top with the sliced almond.
- Bake. Bake at 200 C / 375 F for approximately 30-35 minutes or until the edges turn golden brown and the almonds are toasted.
- Dust with more powdered sugar and serve.
The riper the fruit, the sweeter the tart. Adjust sugar accordingly.
This recipe can easily be cut in half.
- Category: Pies & Tarts
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Continental