This easy sheet pan salmon with roasted fennel and carrot is near and dear to my heart. It’s a much loved family favourite that my MIL has been making for many years. The flavours of fennel and carrot make a perfect pairing and are also a great complement to salmon and the tangy zip of yogurt dill sauce. The optional cashew crust adds a nutty richness and a bit of crunch.
The origins of this recipe are a bit of a mystery. I asked my MIL and she wasn’t sure exactly where she first came across it – but said it could have been a magazine. I couldn’t find anything similar online, which is super surprising because it’s just such a perfect combination.
So with that said, it seems I have the distinct honour of introducing this tasty, elegant and easy weeknight sheet pan meal to the internets.
The best part about this meal (besides how good it tastes) is how easy is it to prepare. The end result looks sophisticated (and polished enough for company) but this meal is so simple to prepare it’s basically effortless. Easy elegance is always a win in my books.
What you need to prepare this meal
Ingredients for the sheet pan salmon, roasted fennel and carrot
The ingredients shown for this recipe make 4 servings but you could easily double it.
- Salmon filet. Of course you’ll need salmon. I used a whole filet of approximately 650 gram / 23 oz. You can also easily make this dish with precut pieces and increase or decrease the amount of salmon and veg to accommodate more or less eaters at your table.
- A fennel bulb.
- About 3-4 medium sized carrots.
- 1/2 lemon cut into slices.
- Honey mustard glaze (optional): 1 tablespoon mustard, 1 teaspoon mayo and 1 teaspoon honey. Spread it onto the salmon to help the crunchy topping stick. If you’re omitting the crunchy topping then you can also omit this step to lighten things up a bit more. My MIL generally makes this recipe topping free and it’s always delicious.
- Cashew topping (optional): I used about 1/3 of a cup of crushed cashews but you can use any crunchy topping like another type of nut or breadcrumbs – you can also just omit this part altogether.
Ingredients for the yogurt dill sauce
The yogurt dill sauce really brings together the rest of the elements of the dish. It’s a little reminiscent of Greek tzaziki – fresh and zingy with deep herb notes from the dill.
- 1 cup of yogurt. I used whole fat Turkish yogurt but you could also use light Greek yogurt.
- 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise.
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon.
- 1 small clove of garlic. I put it through a garlic press but you could also mash or finely dice it.
- An entire bunch of dill, stems removed. Bunches come in different sizes. For me this ended up being about 1/2 a cup of fresh dill – but you can easily go up to a cup for more dill flavour.
- 1 tablespoon of good olive oil (optional). I drizzled this on at the end for some extra richness. You can leave it out.
How to make the sheet pan salmon
This is the easy part. You just cut the carrots and fennel into thin slices about 3-5mm, toss them with a bit of olive oil and salt, and lay them out on the sheet pan. In a small bowl mix together the honey mustard glaze (if using) and smear it over the salmon.
Finally, top with the crunchy topping, a bit of extra dill for some flair, and roast on the bottom oven rack at 190 C / 375 F for 15 minutes. While the salmon and veg are roasting you can make the dill yogurt sauce.
Check about half way through to make sure your nut topping isn’t browning too quickly and if it looks like it is, put a little foil hat on top of the salmon.
That’s it. Easy and elegant sheet pan salmon with roasted fennel and carrots.Print
Easy Sheet Pan Salmon, Fennel, & Carrot with Yogurt Dill Sauce
This easy & weeknight-friendly sheet pan salmon recipe gives you bright flavours and elegant presentation for only 15 minutes of hands on prep time.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 25
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Quick & Easy Meals
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Seafood
Sheet pan salmon, fennel and carrot
Approx. 650 grams / 23 oz salmon filet
1 fennel bulb
3–4 medium sized carrots
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon of salt (to taste)
Honey mustard glaze & cashew topping
1 tablespoon mustard
1 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon mayonnaise
1/3 cup of crushed raw cashews
Yogurt dill sauce
1 cup of full-fat Greek or Turkish yogurt
3 tablespoons of mayonnaise
1/2 cup of fresh dill, stems removed
1 small clove of garlic, finely diced or mashed
Juice of half a lemon
1/4 teaspoon of salt to start (add more to taste)
Preheat oven to 190 C / 375 F.
Prepare the vegetables: Finely slice the fennel and carrot to about 3-5mm thickness. Toss with the olive oil and salt and lay out in a parchment lined pan.
Glaze and top the salmon: Place the salmon filet right on top of the sliced fennel and carrot. Prepare the honey mustard glaze, spread it over the filet, and then top with the crushed cashews.
Bake: Bake in preheated oven on the lower oven rack for 15 minutes, checking at the 10 minute mark to make sure the nuts don’t brown too much.
Prepare the yogurt dill sauce. Add all the ingredients together in a bowl, mix well and set aside.
This meal is great served hot but also makes a delicious cold lunch.
Keywords: salmon, dill, yogurt, yogurt dill sauce, sheet pan meal, sheet pan recipe, sheet pan salmon