A party and brunch-friendly take on the classic pain au chocolat. Made with premade puff pastry sheets, chocolate and almond slices, these elegant pastries are fast, easy and simple to make with just a few ingredients and about 10 minutes of hands on prep.
- 1 package premade puff pastry
- 60 grams / 2 oz chocolate
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds (optional)
- powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200 C / 400 F
- Open the puff pastry and lay it out on parchment paper. Use a sharp knife or pizza roller to cut the sheet into rectangles. Depending on the size and dimensions of your puff pastry sheet, you can get anywhere between 8 – 11 rectangles. I like to make some of my rectangles vertical and some horizontal in order to get the best shape out of the sheet. Your mileage may vary.
- While I diced up my chocolate in order to mix white and dark bars, I don’t recommend dicing the chocolate even if its to mix chocolates. The larger the pieces the easier it is to roll so roughly cut the chocolate into approximate rectangles a bit smaller than the width of the puff pastry rectangles.
- Place them at one end of the puff pastry rectangle and roll it up gently like a carpet and place them seam side down on a parchment lined baking sheet with at least 2cm / 1 inch space between them.
- In a bowl beat the egg vigorously and then use a basting brush to baste each of the pastries with the egg wash. then evenly distribute the sliced almonds on them.
- Bake at 200 C / 400 F for 20-25 minutes or until puffed and golden.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar and serve.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: French