Smoky Romanian Bean Stew
This smoky Romanian Bean Stew tastes like home and comfort. It calls for just a few basic ingredients, it’s versatile so you can use what you have, and it only needs about 5-10 minutes of prep time.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 40
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Stew
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Romanian
- 2.5 cups pre-soaked white beans (or 3 cans)
- 2 large onions, finely diced
- 2 red peppers, diced
- 1 cup smoked sausage or meat of your choice (optional)
- 1 tablespoon of smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon of cimbru (summer savoury)*
- 1.5 teaspoons of salt (plus or minus to taste)
- Oil for frying
- Water to cover
- A few tablespoons of chopped fresh dill and parsley for garnish.
- Soak the beans overnight if using dry.
- Finely dice the onion and dice the peppers.
- Cut your smoked meat into bite-sized pieces.
- Saute the onion and meat in oil on medium-high heat first until beginning to brown.
- Add everything else and enough water to just cover the beans.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to gentle simmer for 40 minutes.
- Cover with a lid if using dry beans / don’t cover if using canned.
- After 40 minutes uncover and continue to simmer until reduced to your liking.
- Garnish with fresh chopped dill or parsley. Serve with crusty bread.
* Substitute 1/2 tbsp thyme, 1/2 tsp oregano and a 1/4 tsp fenugreek (if you have it).
This stew is also excellent with potatoes – cut two large potatoes into bite sized pieces and add them along with everything else.