A fresh, tasty, and super easy 15 minute meal with a ton of flavour. This Vietnamese vermicelli bowl is perfect for summer barbecues or weeknight meals.
- 1 kg / 2 lbs pork shoulder steaks
- 250 grams / 9 oz of raw peeled and deveined shrimp
- 2 lemongrass stalks
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 birds eye chilis
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice + 2 limes
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into thin sticks
- 1/2 full size cucumber, thinly sliced
- 8 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 250 gram / 9 oz package of vermicelli rice noodles or glass noodles
- 1 cup each of fresh coriander, mint and basil
- Prepare the pork. Follow the recipe here. It will only take about 15 minutes but should marinade for at least 1 hour at room temp or up to 72 hours in the fridge. Cook on the grill or in a skillet.
- Prepare the shrimp. Combine the juice of 1 lime, 1 tbsp brown sugar, and 1 diced birds eye chili. Use that to brush the shrimp and then cook in a skillet or skewered on the grill.
- Cook the noodles. Cook the noodles according to package instructions.
- Prepare the nuoc cham. Follow the recipe here.
- Prepare the vegetables and herbs. Cut the carrots into thin sticks and thinly slice the radishes and cucumber. Trim the stems from the herbs and set aside the leaves.
- Assemble the bowls. Slice the lemongrass pork thinly. Add the noodles, pork, vegetables, and shrimp to a bowl. Garnish with the fresh herbs and top with the nuoc cham just before serving.
- Category: Lunch, Dinner
- Method: Grill or Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vietnamese