A flavourful curried cod stew ready in 30 minutes with only 15 minutes if prep time. It’s simple to make, big on flavour and full of healthy ingredients like carrots, peppers, tomatoes and coconut milk.
- Cod loin or other type of white fish, about 500 grams / 1 lb
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 cm piece of fresh ginger, diced or mashed
- 4 cloves of garlic, diced or mashed
- 2–3 birds eye chilis or 1/2 to 1 jalapeno
- 1 medium sized carrot
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 2 medium sized tomatoes
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp fenugreek (optional)
- 2 + tsp salt
- 1–2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 lemon (optional)
- Handful of fresh coriander (optional)
- First prepare the aromatics and vegetables. Chop the chilis, ginger and garlic or pulse in a food blender with a bit of oil. Dice the onion finely. Also slice the carrots, dice the peppers and cut the tomatoes into rough quarters. At this point you can also rinse, pat dry and rub the fish filets with about 1/4 of the curry powder and salt.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat (about a 7/10) and add the chilis ginger, garlic and onion. Sweat for a few minutes until aromatic and then add the carrots, peppers, tomatoes, curry powder, fenugreek, and salt. Cook for about another 2-3 minutes and then pour in the coconut milk, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes. This may be a good time to put some rice to cook if you like.
- Once the sauce has had a chance to cook and develop, gently place the seasoned fish filets into the pan. Once again cover and simmer for another 6-8 minutes.
- Once the fish flakes easily when pressed gently with a fork it’s cooked. Serve with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and a sprinkle of fresh coriander over a bed of warm and fluffy basmati.
- Category: Weeknight Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: South East Asian